What is Return to Roots?
Return to Roots is a 5-day participatory and inclusive gathering attended by hoop dancers, yogis, flow artists and kindred spirits alike. For 5 days, participants bond together as a family, co-creating, supporting, and awakening something within by attending workshops and performances, designing community art, and sharing time.
What is Return to Roots NOT?
Return to Roots is not a rage festival or a spectator event. People do not attend R2R – they particpate. Roots participants do not judge, do not exclude, and do not leave of trace of their presence once they leave – except maybe some glitter.
What is hooping?
Hooping is an amazing, dynamic, fun, exciting dance form that’s been exploding in popularity! It’s not your daddy’s Hula Hoops. Hoopers use bigger, weighted hoops made for adult bodies. Hoops can be spun all over your body – from your ankles to your forehead. The possibilities are endless! Hooping brings a smile to every face, it brings joy and reminds us of our youth. It is also an amazing cardiovascular exercise!
Some people use their hoops to heal physically and many use it for meditation. Check out videos of some of our past presenters.
I’m a beginner hoop dancer or yogi. Will I fit in?
We welcome you with open arms! You’ll find classes specifically designed with the beginners in mind. Plus, many of the classes are open level, meaning they have something anyone can use. For example, Malcolm Stuart taught a fantastic workshop in 2011 on moving creatively, which applies to any dance form!
I don’t hoop. Can I come?
We are a hoop, flow art, yoga, and music gathering. If you are into any of these things, you are going to LOVE R2R. We’ve expanded our offerings this year- including more yoga classes, poi, aerial silks & hoop, slackline, meditations, sustainability workshops, more music, and much more. If you want expand your mind, raise consciousness, and experience bliss like never before, Return to Roots Gathering is for you.
What do I get with a Weekend Pass?
- Workshops, discussion forums, and performances
- On-site camping
- Live music
- Variety Showcase – a riotous, joyful open show for everyone
- Marketplace for talented vendors selling the finest handmade hoops, apparel, LED toys, jewelry, oils, and more
I can only come for one or two days.
While we do encourage our attendees to stay for the whole weekend for the greater sense of community, we appreciate that not everyone can take 5 days off. That’s why we’ll have Day Passes available starting January 7th, 2013.
What’s the closest airport?
In order of proximity:
Newark Liberty (EWR)
New York Kennedy (JFK)
We strongly recommend Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (AVP) or Newark (EWR) airports. They are the closest and most accessible.
Can I bring my pet?
Can I bring my own food?
Yes! But there are NO OPEN FIRES. Please bring a camping stove if you intend to cook food.
What should I bring?
- Bring your go-to hoop, some small ones for practicing off-body, fire hoops, fuel, Quick Wicks, LED hoops, charger, batteries, minis for Ted’s class
- Clothes: be prepared for hot or cold weather, wet or dry weather. Also bring your favorite hoop outfits, party clothes.
- Blissware- bring your own plate, bowl, cup, and utensils so we can help shrink our footprint! We’ll have a wash area for you to clean your Blissware after each meal.
- Re-usable water bottle (we’ll have fresh, clean water available to refill your bottle)
- Blindfold for Baxter’s class
- Head lamp
- Bug spray
- Baby wipes
- Lip balm
- Day Pack to keep your belongings with you throughout the day
- Yoga Mat
- Other Flowtoys: Flow Wand, Staff, Poi, etc.
- Hand drum for the drum circle
- Blanket for hanging out on the grass
- Musical Instruments for the Sunset Drum Circle and Fire Jam
- Camera/Video Camera, batteries, charger
- Small notebook and pen for journaling
- Portable music player and speakers
- Re-usable water bottle (we’ll have clean water on tap)
- NO OPEN FIRES PLEASE!
- Tent, tent poles, stakes
- Ground tarp or footprint for under the tent
- Sleeping Bag
- Crashpad or air mattress
- Folding chair
- Lantern or tent light
- Portable tent fan